Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Criticism sucks. May 21, 2010.


“Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things.”

* * *

Yesterday, during a meeting, I got criticized – unfairly, I thought. My heart sunk and stayed sunk the whole rest of the day. But yesterday I also received several comments and messages from people who think I’m doing a great job at work. Interestingly, these kudos lifted my heart only for a moment – then I remembered the comment I didn’t like, and my heart sank again.

I bet most of the people in this group are hyper-sensitive to criticism, be it right or wrong. And I bet most of us are quick to dismiss compliments from people. We seem to want to believe the worst about ourselves and dismiss the best. Why?

Perhaps we should carry a small notebook and jot down the compliments we receive and compare them to the criticisms. And the compliments can be as simple as a smile from someone (just as we would count a frown as a criticism.) Let’s see if we’re really as bad as we tell ourselves we are. My guess? We’re not.

No comments:

Post a Comment