Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Mind-reading. May 26, 2010.


“People can only do what they know to do, not what you think they should know, not even what they think they say they know, they can only do what they know to do.” – Maya Angelou

* * *

Are you a mind-reader? Probably not – but you may expect other people to be. As I became sicker and sicker, I became more and more needy and dependent on things outside of me to take my suffering away. The problem was, nothing outside of me was happening the way I needed it to – and no one was saying the things I needed to hear.

I’m not even sure I know exactly what I needed to hear anyway. But if I had, I don’t know if I would have been willing or able to share those needs with my loved ones. I just expected them to know, somehow. I kept waiting for someone, somewhere to say the magic words that would cure my depression and anxiety.

Maybe that’s why some people send out “warning signs” – stray comments, giving away possessions. They’re waiting to hear those magic words. And what are those magic words? I don’t know. Do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment