Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Worry. May 24, 2010.


“Worry is a thin stream of fear trickling though the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.” – Arthur Somers Roche

* * *

Worry and anxiety are my greatest enemies. There are things in my life that I worry about constantly, and I can’t seem to train my brain to stop the worry, no matter how hard I try. I worry about things I have control of, as well as things I don’t. I worry about now, and I worry about the future. It’s a core part of my personality which earned me the nickname “worrywart” from my mom when I was a little kid. So it’s nothing new.

But it was worry that led me to the place of ultimate hopelessness, and the ultimate act of control to quell the worry. Which is why I see it as an enemy of my very soul. I’m aware it’s an enemy and I’ve been working to eradicate it for years – therapy, books, meds. Still the worry captures my thoughts and kidnaps them. What ransom can we pay to set our worries free?

No comments:

Post a Comment